Milk Kefir with a pinch of Science
It is firmly established that Milk kefir grains are invaluable gems that has been around for centuries, passed on from generation to generation and safeguarded for the perpetuate health benefits they have to offer. It is said that these treasures come from the Caucasus Mountains between Russia & Georgia, many centurions attribute their long happy years to this phenomenal gelatinous “grains” used to ferment milk.
The words Probiotic and microorganisms has popped up everywhere lately from health shops (where it’s kind of normal to find these kind of things) to the everyday grocery store (where it’s a new thing), and even made it to the cover page of some magazines! Probiotics has everyone buzzing with excitement as these guys are drawing lots of attention to in the role they play in a healthy diet, mind and body.
MILK KEFIR – NATURAL PROBIOTIC
People are learning that they don’t just get probiotics in a powder or capsule form but also in natural live active form too!
Milk kefir is ONE of nature’s ways of helping us restoring the balance within our GUT. When I say balance within our GUT I refer to the microflora / microorganisms or bacteria within the whole intestinal tract.
What a wonderful gift if you think that 80% of our immune system is located in the gut! When our gut is balanced we get more nutritional value from what we eat because we can actually absorb more vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
The gut is also described as the second brain because it is responsible for many of the bodies vital functions and for most of the bodies Serotonin production. Serotonin is the feel good hormone and keeps us upbeat and happy! So in short: By looking after the gut by maintaining a balance between good & bad bacteria we can feel healthier & happier.
MILK KEFIR WORTHY OF THE PRAISE IT GETS FROM KEFIR ENTHUSIASTS
Milk kefir contains a broad spectrum of Live & Active Probiotic strains, it’s very easy to make at home. Simply mix milk with kefir grains, and let it sit at room temperature for about 24 hours. Strain the milk and retrieve the kefir grains for your next batch of kefir. Once you have one of these little gems and you look well after them, you will not need to obtain a new culture again because they grow and become more!
Scientific studies have been done on the health benefits these grains has to offer and there’s evidence suggesting that this almost drinking-yogurt-like beverage, though more beneficial than yogurt, is worthy of the praise it gets from Milk Kefir enthusiast all over.
MILK KEFIR: SEE WHAT SCIENTIFIC STUDIES HAVE FOUND
- Kefir has antineoplastic, antibacterial and antifungal activity against Candida. It also significantly increases cancer-fighting natural (NK) Cells.
- Kefir is capable of Anti Tumor Activity
- Has Antiproliferation of colon cancer cells
- Anti-Metastatic Effect of Kefir Grain Components on Lewis Lung Carcinoma and Highly Metastatic B16 Melanoma
- This study shows that Milk kefir made with Pasteurized cow’s milk on human mammary cancer cells showed 29% inhibition of proliferation at a concentration as low as 0.63% where yogurt extracts began to show dose-dependent antiproliferative effects only at the 2.5% dose. Kefir @ the 2.5% dose decreased the human mammary cancer cells (MCF7) cell numbers by 56% Breast Cancer (2007) Kefir extracts suppress in vitro proliferation of estrogen-dependent human breast cancer cells but not normal mammary epithelial cells:
- NK Cell Activity Increased: (2007) Effects of a fermented milk drink containing Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota on the human NK-cell activity:
- Antifungal activity agains Candida, Antibacterial Activity (2006) Antitumoural antibacterial and antifungal activities of kefir and kefir grain:
- Anti Tumor Activity in (2002) Anti-tumor activity of milk kefir and soy milk kefir in tumor-bearing mice:
- Colon cancer – Lactic Acid Bacteria from Fermented Dairy milks (2009) Probiotic potential of lactic acid bacteria isolated from fermented dairy milks on antiproliferation of colon cancer cells:
- Lewis Lung Cacinoma & Highly Metastatic B16 Melanoma: (2000) Anti-Metastatic Effect of Kefir Grain Components on Lewis Lung Carcinoma and Highly Metastatic B16 Melanoma in Mice.
- This study found that kefir has the ability to protect against harmful levels of radiation according to the abstracts conclusions: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13678339
- Brain Gut connection: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/
- Breast Cancer: (2007) Kefir extracts suppress in vitro proliferation of estrogen-dependent human breast cancer cells but not normal mammary epithelial cells: