Sauerkraut has been made for ages without any starters added. Your gut will love it, it’s as easy and simple to make, just chop, salt and stuff the jar! You may want to add other veggies like carrots, radishes, onions or spinach to give it more dimension and flavour.
You will need
1 liter/quart jar
- 4 cups of cabbage shredded or chopped by hand
- 1 Tablespoon Salt, Himalayan salt, kosher salt or desert salt
- Brine – optional*
- The brine is a saltwater mixture that you can make by dissolving 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of filtered water.
- Peel the cabbage and save 1 or 2 leaves keeping it intact, you’ll use it later
- Cut the cabbage in thin slithers, or you can use a food processor to chop it up quickly.
- put your cabbage in a bowl add salt and work the cabbage with your hands as you want the salt to distribute evenly*
- Stuff the cabbage into your jar and leave a headspace of about 2-3 fingers for the kraut to expand. You can use a flip top or clamp down, canning or airlock jar.
- Now use an outer cabbage leaves, fold it to push the veggies down under the liquid. Cover the veggies with water if there’s not enough kraut juice to cover the veggies*
- Put your jar in a cool place out of direct sunlight for 7 days. Make sure your veggies stay submerged push them down if they have risen to the top. Taste the veggies after 7 days and if they taste tart like kraut they are ready to eat or to go to the fridge, they’ll be good for about 9 months if not longer.
- *I don’t like adding water to top up my cabbage so what I do is I usually cover the cabbage with a lid or something to keep the insects out and leave it a while to create more brine (30 min to overnight) OR I’d bruise it with by pounding it with a rolling stick, but you don’t have to do this if you fine with topping up with water.
- Go here to see how to make your own kefir whey, I like to use Homemade Greek Yogurt whey and the same method can be applied to render yogurt whey.
Think you might be having trouble when fermenting your veggies, listen to this video. It’ll give you answers to many uncertainties.