I love making this bread because two ingredients is all that’s needed to make this wonderful bread.
You can use the optional extras to enhance the flavor if you like but I like it as is – I really only use 2 Ingredients.
Soaking your flour.
We are soaking the flour because it helps to make the bread more digestible and helps the body to absorb more minerals from the bread we eat. This is the same reason we soak our Oats, legumes and whole grains.
Soaking pre-digest the grains breaking down complex starches and tannins that may irritate your stomach. Soaking start to break down proteins like gluten – which is great because for some this reduces gluten sensitivity.
In short SOAKED BREAD IS AWESOME and here’s one of my favorite bread recipes EVER!
- 5 Cups of All purpose OR Whole Wheat Flour
- 2-3 Cups of Milk Kefir (depending on the moisture in the air and the flour)
- OPTIONAL Extras (I don't use these with in recipe but you can if you like):
- 1 -2 Teaspoons of salt
- 1-3 Tablespoons of Honey
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons of spices
- Combine Flour & Kefir in one bowl to form a sticky dough, but doesn't stick to your finger when pulled back.
- Mix or knead for 5 minutes
- Cover and let sit for 24 hours in a warm place.
- After 24 hours, shape into a loaf and place in a bread pan or small bread pan to make mini loafs.
- Cover and let rise for about 3-4 hours in a warm place.
- Bake at 180° for 45-50 minutes. Tap test: when you hear a hollow sound when tapping bread underneath the baking pan then it's ready.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing and cooling on a wire rack.
Here’s a video touching on why we soak grains & more about making the AMAZING 2 Ingredient bread!
(you may want to turn your volume down as it may be a bit loud at first.)