It’s EASY so don’t feel intimidated!
Most of us feel intimidated by the idea of making pizza bases, flatbread or bread at home and fear that it may take hours of prep work, but I am sure that you will be pleasantly surprised to learn that you can make a pizza or flatbread from scratch in 45 min!
There’s something magical in making your own food,
it’s a way of getting in touch with what you eat or feed your family and it’s absolutely amazing to think that you can transform everyday ingredients into a delightful meal that brings people together to enjoy and celebrate life at one table! A BIG plus is that when making your own food from scratch you know exactly what your meals consist of and that there’s no harmful chemicals in your food, also when doing this you have the opportunity to add the highly prized secret ingredient to all your creations that makes everything taste and feel better! Never underestimate the taste of fresh ingredients added together with lots of love as it really put your food & flavor profile in a different level of spectacular.
Over to the Pizza experiment:
I’ve found a beautiful two ingredient pizza base recipe on The Slow Roasted Italian, made with yogurt and self raising flour. As you would guess, I’ve decided to experiment a bit and I am thrilled to mention that it was an AWESOME SUCCESS!!
Ok, so I’ve made the two ingredient bread with Milk Kefir and flour and it came out way better than anticipated so it was expected that the two ingredient pizza or flatbread base would be equally as great of a success. Then I wondered if this same recipe will work with Kombucha or Water kefir. It will only make sense that it would because Kombucha and Water Kefir just like Milk Kefir contains natural yeast and I am pleased to confirm that it worked with a delicious: “YUM, IT WORKED!”
- 1 Cup Self raising flour; or flour of choice
- 1/2 Cup Milk Kefir; or Water Kefir; or Kombucha
- Put your oven on 200° C so that it’s ready when your pizza or flatbread dough is ready
- Add flour to a large bowl
- Stir the flour while slowly stirring the kefir in
- Start kneading when dough comes away from sides. Add more flour if it’s too sticky OR more kefir if it’s too dry
- Transfer to floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Cover and let the dough rest for 15 min (while you get the toppings ready)
- Roll your dough out on prepared baking sheet – flour the sheet so that your dough don’t stick
- Poke your dough with a fork to avoid air bubbles from forming in your dough
- Bake your base for 5 minutes @ 200° C and then add toppings and bake for another 10-12 minutes if you want a Crispy Crust. OR for a Soft Crust you can add the toppings to raw dough and bake it for 10-15 minutes.
- Get your table ready so that you can serve your pizza or flatbread straight from the oven!
Penny for your thoughts: Don’t be shy, let me know what you think of this recipe.. c’mon give it a try 🙂
Feel free to comment below or send some pics of you and your favorite pizza you’ve made!