It’s bubbly, it’s tasty and it’s probiotic!
This is an easy way of making probiotic ginger beer if you don’t have the time to make a gingerbug. Kefir Whey can also be used to ferment fruit juices or sweet teas and it’s very easy to make.
Ingredients needed when making 2 liters of Ginger Kefir Whey Soda.
- 2 liters of water
- 5 cm piece of grated ginger
- lemon zest
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of whey as a starter. In winter time you can use up to 1 cup of whey as it will speed up the fermentation process in cooler temperatures.
- a couple of raisins
What to do
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot on your stove and add the grated ginger, lemon zest, and sugar to the boiling water, let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove the ginger tea from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- When the ginger tea has cooled down to room temperature, it’s safe to add the 1/2 cup of whey and some raisins.
- Get your bottle ready and bottle
- let your ginger beer stand out of direct sunlight for 3-7 days.
During the winter your ferment will take longer to mature and you can add a cup of whey per 2 liters of ginger tea if need be, this will speed up the fermentation process. Some people don’t like adding too much whey and prefer to wait a little longer.
CHECK your ferment and burp your bottles to be sure that your bottles don’t explode.
If you want to try out another way of making kefir whey soda try using 1 liter of 100% juice with a 1/4 cup of whey. Simply pour the juice in a suitable bottle, add the whey and let it ferment for 3-7 days + have a look at the recipe notes above.
This is what it looks like
[kad_youtube url=”https://youtu.be/RbZCEory6P4″ width=230 height=130 ]