Kham yeast on the veggies that have not been removed can cause soft ferments. High temperatures will cause veggies to go mushy.
- Try to ferment at temperatures below 21°C
- When culturing cucumbers, cut the stems because this can cause cucumbers to become soft.
- Add an organic black tea bag in each jar or ferment. Oak or grape leave can be used to add tannins and keep the crunch.
- Mushy veg can be used in soups or other “Bredies”.
- Add more salt next time
- Ferment for a shorter time period next time